Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Meaning Of A Mortgage

Luke Ford writes:

I went for a long walk Sabbath afternoon. As I looked at the setting sun, I felt sad. My life was not supposed to turn out this way.

I've never married. I've never had kids. And I've never had a mortgage.

I associate those three things together. They mean adulthood to me and because I have not done them, I feel like I am less of an adult.

I don't go around moping about this, but I think of maturity as taking on responsibilities such as a spouse, kids and a mortgage.

A mortgage settles you down to a particular place and community. You're less likely to take chances with your blogging if you have a mortgage. You don't want to get sued for libel or for anything and lose your home, your castle.

I revel in my freedom. That's what living in an apartment means to me. I can get up and go. I'm not tied down. I have no ball and chain.

I discuss the parsha with Rabbi Rabbs Mondays at 7pm PST on my live cam.



No comments: